The company of Lladró was founded in 1953 by three brothers. These three brothers were Juan, José and Vicente Lladró, and they lived and worked in the village of Almácera, near Valencia. Starting with items such as vases and jugs, it wasn't until 1956 that Lladró really started producing the scupltures for which they are now most famous. An enthusiasm for the items produced by the Lladró brothers saw their small workshop expand several times until eventually they moved to Tavernes Blanques in 1958.
The company that the three Lladró brothers have created have made many a master piece over the life of the company, and many now sell for amazing sums of money. For the Lladró brothers to know that they would be as famous as they have become is out of the question. But through the life for their work the Lladró brothers have reached these unimaginable heights, and not only reached them, but set the bar for sculpting.
Lladró figurines are given an additional title in English as well as the Spanish original, however these names are frequently not translations (figurative or literal) but rather new names that are more likely to appeal to an English speaking audience. A further area for confusion is that the names of the pieces can change throughout their life time, so the same figurine can often end up with many different titles.