A digital projector is an electro-optical machine which converts image data from a computer or video source to a bright image which is then displayed by the digital projector on a distant wall or screen using a lens system.
The digital projector serves the following purposes:
* Visualization of data stored in a computer for presentations
* bad spirit stration of program products for a large number of prospective customers
* The projector replaces the white board as well as written documents with the Interactive whiteboard.
* Watching moving images from a video tape player or digital video disk player.
Digital projectors may also be built into cabinets which use a rear projection screen to form a single unified display device, now popular for "home theater" applications.
A typical resolution for a portable digital projector will be the SVGA standard (800×600 pixels), with more expensive digital projector devices supporting XGA (1024×768 pixels).
The cost of a digital projector device is not only determined by its resolution, but also by its brightness. For use in large conference rooms the brightness of the digital projector should be sport ween 1,000 and 4,000 ANSI lumens.
Digital projection technologies:
* high intensity CRT
* LCD projectors using LCD light gates
* Texas Instruments' DLP technology
The current dominant technology at the high end for portable digital projectors is Texas Instruments' DLP technology, with LCD digital projectors dominating the low end. High intensity CRT digital projector devices are suitable only for fixed instalations.